Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Friday, December 31, 2010

Last blog/run of 2010

Well hello blog, we meet again!

This year has been full of changes for me :) I started off single, still working on the research for grad school, hating running and pretty much all exercise, and of course, this blog didn't exist! I end with an amazing boyfriend, research done, and loving running, then telling about it. Okay, maybe I don't love running, but I do love the feeling before/after, the conversations it sparks, the setting of goals that only you can set and fulfill, and oh yeah, that even Fred asks "so do you want a subscription to Runner's World?" Hee hee, why yes, because I am officially a "runner."

KR came with me on our spontaneous run. I didn't think I'd get a chance to run today, pre-tonight's festivities (house party?!) and my morning shower. Yes, with this much hair, getting it dry takes for.ev.errrrrr and I hate hair dryers. I didn't even own one until I was at least 21, true story. With my hair already washed and me already cleaned, the lazy bum in me went to work and said "well, no more workouts for me?" until I asked KR what she was doing. Behold, ta-da, everything fell into place!

We did my old 3 mile route. I was going to make the "out" portion longer to make the "back" section shorter and part of a long downhill, but as I came home, I realized all the runners were on the pavement of the scary twisty road that everyone speeds down because the ice/snow/slush was THAT bad on the sidewalk. 

Evil, evil quarter mile hill
I showed KR the route, and explained that there was a 5 min walk start built in, so we started after the 2nd cross street of our 3rd road. We got on the road, and she started running. Crap, had to somewhat keep up, so it was the hill. When we got to the top of the hill, ans subsequently, the 2nd cross street, KR gave me a "wait, did you just find the hardest, steepest hill to begin the run?!" and I reminded her the route hadn't technically started. Blegh! But I kept running, KR did a lot of running down the side streets as I trekked along. We sprinted one final driveway, then walked to the halfway marker. 1.5 miles in... 15 minutes :) There was a lot more walking on the way back, ack ack ack, but I think we did the full 3 miles in 35 minutes. Not bad for tons of walking at the end :/



KR and I are January babies, 354 days apart and when I was debating what to make for my birthday cake last year, we realized that making your own birthday cake is NO FUN! Hence, I made her cake and she made mine. Don't worry, I'll show that closer to the date, because no edible baked goods should have that color. BUT! As we walked back, we started talking about what we'll make this year. I think the current winner involves cheesecake :D MORE INCENTIVE TO KEEP RUNNING!

Here's to the next year AND TV timeout :)

-Syd

No comments: