Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Easy does it

So I actually went running yesterday morning, but the evening went crazy and so now I have time to tell you about it :) 

Reason #9184 last night went crazy??? I had an appointment to give blood! 

Only, I seem to be cursed when it comes to giving blood in NC. The first time I tried here, the on-site location didn't have my online registration, but they were also running an hour late. I thought it would be easy to do on my lunch hour, but I had class to go to! Fails #1 and 2. I successfully gave blood with this organization in a van in October (then tromped off to the State Fair :D ) but oh, my, everything that could go wrong did yesterday. They sent me away with only 20% of what they needed because the girl facing me had passed out and lost control of some bodily functions while giving blood. My clotting line thanks to an awful stick *shudder* seemed insignificant after that.

BUT! Before all of this, I went running before work and the day warmed up to be 76 and sunny. Yes. In February :) I even ate lunch outside on a blanket!

The run was my 2.5 mile route, running half of my hill. I also cut through to an apartment complex, way off road and sidewalk, trying to avoid the scary no-sidewalk or shoulder portion. New areas always weird me out, so I hesitatntly ran on the streets or from short sidewalk to short sidewalk, knowing about where it should dump me out to where I needed to go back to my sidewalks and happy known path.

No clue how long it took- and that's still fine with me :)

I asked the neighbors to borrow their larger-than-Lucy dog for a walk/run tomorrow. Will probably be keeping it around home since it's my first run with her, so if I need to change the pace, alter the route, no big. Also, you never know how a dog reacts to a car ride!

Here's to the next TV timeout!

-Syd

No comments: