Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bad runs --> bad blogger

Ok, so I admit that when a run doesn't go how I really want it to- or it happens so flipping early that I forget I did it by the time most people's days start- I don't want to talk about it! Last Wednesday (score one for getting it in before the 1 week date!) Huck and I were out the door by 5:30 for our little jaunt. SC told us to go do 4 miles, but I was a bum and didn't map out a route before, figuring that Huck, battling some sort of ailment, wouldn't join me and I could do the run later in the day after I'd mapped it out blah blah blah. But! He joined me, and I punted on where to go.

Thankfully he lives near NC State, so even at o'dark 30, we had lots of well lit sidewalks, trails and side streets to run on. We did a little loop, then curley cued around, retraced our steps some, and then headed up this slightly evil hill on campus before going home. The route was only 3.2 miles, not 4, but we kept up a 10 min pace, which took a lot over hills like Dan Allen! The short little hills are fun to train on, because you can see the ending and just power through it.

The "bad" run came on Sunday. I was a bad runner and just didn't go on Saturday, even though I had an event I could've gone running at with people I know and even like! But its rare you can just sleep in on a Saturday and I'm usually an 8:30 Sunday church girl. Usually... I worked Saturday night for a place an hour away from home and after pounding LOTS of coffee and Mountain Dew to keep me alive through work and driving back (in the rain, where NC drivers just fail...flashers?! WTH?!) I stared at the back of my eyelids, gave up and puttered around the internet until 1am... so my grand plan of running before 8:30 church went out the window!

I decided on 11am church and planned out my run...and did other random home things...and finally got out the door at 9:30 and realized my awesomely planned out 4 miler would result in a pretty ripe me walking into the sanctuary. I realize God loves everyone, regardless of how badly they might smell or tired they might look after 4 miles with 2.5 killer hills, but I like getting dressed up for church on Sunday, so my 4 mile route got scrapped for the simple 1.5-er. Only, I full blown RAN up the .5 mile hill. RAN. Got into a ZONE and destroyed it! ... and then got to the top, wanting to throw up and realizing that the "oh, this isn't too bad" 75 and slightly humid it'd been when I walked out the front door now felt like a straight up sauna!

So I turned around, easily jogged down the hill and back home and reminded myself to not be a bum! Run early, run the route, get the results you WANT!

The romie had a bad run on Sunday, too, so we plotted to run together, because sometimes you just need a good run!...which I'll save for tomorrow :)

Here's to the next TV timeout!
-Syd

PS- http://bit.ly/JaisAy  <-- why I started crying during the Tarheel 10 miler

No comments: