Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A good run

Like I mentioned here, I've been in need of a "good" run! I made a 10k training program for the roomie in light of the 10k we're doing in June, so I offered to run with her for some of the days. She'd had a bad run on Sunday, too, so we were ready to attack our Tuesday run, wraaarrrgh! She was short on time, having to work a morning shift, couple hour break, and then go to her normal store to finish up for the night. End result? We had to run at 1pm, not my fave time to run, but WHATEVER, this was going to be a GOOD run!

I used my super-secret-awesome trick to keep cool by folding over a hand towel I'd wet with water and then tucking it under my shirt on my neck, held up by bra straps, thus keeping me mildly immune from the muggy slightly overcast afternoon. The funniest part? The roomie's phone said we were going further and faster than mine. Accidental scientific survey :/ Unfortunately, I think mine was a bit closer, which makes our run less bad@$$tic, but when you consider we stopped at lots of stoplights, our pace was closer to my average :)

Pretty sure, based on how I'm walking today, I pulled something during the run. Nothing hurt when I was running, I stretched out like a pro to baby my achy knee, but today I swear someone tugged on my right glutes! I'm meeting friends for dinner and AVENGERS!!! and have warned them I'll be sporting some awesome compression gear :)

Ignoring SC this week (what's new?!) and instead of doing a tempo run, will just run a 10k this weekend in Wilmington and probably 4 miles after it to make it an even 10 :) I might do a couple easy miles tomorrow to keep my miles up without getting too burnt out.

Here's to the next TV timeout!

-Syd

PS- my baby hydrangea plant has new baby LEAVES!!! This is the blue one, super excited its not dying :)


No comments: