Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Monday, November 15, 2010

aaaand we're back!

Its past 2:30 and I'm waiting for a call I was supposed to get at 1, so I figured I'll kill time wisely without getting too into work in case I still get the call. Seriously confused, and yes, time zones were mentioned in the e-mails to arrange the call!

Anyway, the roomie, Lucy and I went to meet up with KB at the North Carolina Museum of Art today. Yes, going to an art museum sounds weird, but there's tons of trails around there. Hooray for hippy-dippy North Carolina planning :) It was SO beautiful today! I didn't make the roomie my official photographer again, but here's what the view from the living room is : 

Imagine that over sprawling hills, surrounded by a sculpture garden! I realize my mom will have NC envy as she reads this, but she'll be out here soon!

KB hadn't run in 2 weeks, I hadn't run in a week, so I just followed her pace. She always pushes me, and I know it, but I just try to keep up. With our recent slacking, running wise at least, we aimed to do a good solid mile, then walk and regain our breath- a nice easy re-introduction to running. As KB told me to keep up with her pace, something along the lines of "if you can do 12:02 for 3 miles, you can do just one 10:30 mile!" we talked a little, but that soon got to be just too hard. We turned around at the top of a little hill, and had to run back to the roomie... who was now running in the other direction! 

Once we caught our breath, KB told me she'd lied a little about the pace. Her Garmin fancy-watch actually had us doing 1.1 miles in 11 minutes which means 10 min miles :) I don't know how much longer I could've kept it up, but its a nice mental victory to know that I can! When the cold sets in this winter, I'll be sure to not fear the 6.0mph setting on the treadmills as much!

Here's to the next TV timeout!

-Syd

No comments: