Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Monday, November 8, 2010

Results and rebound


First off, the official results are up and I did better than I thought I did! I thought I'd gotten in around the 39 minute mark, but I was about 30 seconds faster per mile than I'd though. First outing, its still super exciting :) I was 4th in my age group- first 3 got medals! One of these days I'll get a medal- even if its just a "finisher" medal! Even though KR got a TROPHY, she still wanted a medal, too!

This side of the race, I'm still thinking about that next TV timeout and what comes after! So...

1- Get faster/better endurance - 12 minute miles are great for 2 months into running, but I want to be stronger, faster! Oh, and I can't forget about this whole 10k goal I have for the end of April. If I could do that in at least 72 minutes- which is about 12 minute mile pace- for the 10k, I'd be happy, but I know I can push it more.

2- Triathalons? Maybe? I'd definitely need to work on my swimming- I equate swimming, especially in deep ends!, with peas. So for now, that's a super long term goal.

I went running/walking with a friend from work today. If she was talking, we ran, but if I was talking, we had to walk. We covered 3 miles but no clue how long it took... and I'm perfectly okay with that. After yoga last week, I realized I've lost so much upper body strength that I'd built up over months of yoga and other strength training! I didn't have super defined muscles, but I could kick some skinny girls' butt in yoga and other classes!!! With that in mind, I'm going to Total Body Sculpt tomorrow, a class that leaves me in pain every time. We've befriended the instructor (Fred even drives to a class with her, small world!) so its always nice to see her at 6:20 am! KR continues to torture me- but its okay :) Lucy is sleeping quietly next to me, so I'm going to take a cue from her and hit the hay!

Here's to the next TV timeout (and race!)
-Syd


No comments: