Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ankle update :)

While I showed you pictures of my awesome knee the other day, I thought I'd let you see the catalyst injury. Really, I was sitting here with my legs up and crossed at the ankles when I realized my left ankle was BURNING UP! Guess all the little cells are in there, repairing away, right?! :) A girl can dream, at least!

Comparison of injured and standard:
Swollen...

Normal. Aww, I miss that ankle bone on the left side!

I've felt great the past couple days, mainly because I took lots of ibproufen! Thursday night was a dinner with potential employers, but I'd definitely been told it was a cocktail reception, which conjured up images of lots of standing and mingling in my mind! My cute little $10 flats from Target came in handy, though, because I got to show off a flash of HOT PINK argyle socks that went with my gray pants and pink sweater :) 

The big test came Friday morning when I wore a skirt suit to the formal interviews. I tested out the outfit with my hose to see how much of the bruise you could see (not noticeable!) and which shoes to wear. I didn't want to wear flats, but I didn't want to be in heels too scandalous, and trust me, I have some KILLER heels! My original game plan was the low black slingbacks, but the strap cut PERFECTLY across the swollen ankle area. I had a newly purchased ($13, thank you Ann Taylor LOFT!) dark purple top and so I decided to be a bit daring fashion wise and wear higher heels, but more coverage, less ankle annoyance and in the same area of the color spectrum as the top under my suit jacket. 

With more of the ibproufen, taken at doses approved by the Roomie, MD , walking from interview room to interview room, up and down stairs, was no big :) I switched back into the aforementioned Target flats for a site tour, and life was great! The great rapport (I HOPE!) with the interviewers probably made me feel a bit invincible, too ;) 

Today has been a medication free day. I had a sneaking suspicion my horrid tummy ache yesterday wasn't nerves but ibproufen, so I wanted a day free of that pain. Walking around is definitely doable, just a bit of discomfort here and there, but nothing I can't handle. I think I might put the ice pack back on the ankle, since my instructions say to do it once a day.

Here's to (playing at!) the next TV timeout!
-Syd

No comments: