Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Go fast!

This will be short because I think my eyes are rebelling from so much screen time- laptop, work screen and Droid :) This totally falls into this category : http://whitewhine.tumblr.com/

Today's scheduled run was 2 miles, "fast". I came up with a 1 mile route that left from work and planned to do an out and back- until I went on the route. My work is really close to NC State's campus, technically part of it, but its on a way far side of campus, surrounded by houses, churches, mosques, apartments and random little businesses. Also, I decided to use the fancy new iPod armband Fred got me for Christmas- and yes, we finally did our "Christmas" this Tuesday :P Since I was rocking out to the tunes, I wanted to see if I could push myself without GPS in my ears. 


As I went out however... I had sidewalks that were more like this --> \ / than this --> _ _ _ .... Even better? I passed a work crew half on the sidewalk, half on the street, and all eyes on me :$ The street I turned on next routed me under a semi-creepy bridge, made even more creepy by people actually hanging out under it! 

Highly creeped out, I turned down a street earlier than I'd planned and didn't just turn around. I knew this route would pass me by the police station and my NEW JOB :) Its part time, but its cool research that's super useful and gives me some interesting and varied experience. Oh, and plenty of time to finish writing... and run ;)

I looked at the timer I'd started on the iPod to guess how far I'd been running. At the 16 minute (and "crap, running up that hill was hard") point, I knew I hadn't been running *that* fast, so I took my 30 second pout and finished the run. Did I mention there were a few ups and downs in this spastic route??

The end result was 1.7 miles in 18 minutes, a 10.6 minute pace. Not as fast as my fluke run, but weirder route on the 3rd straight leg-cardio day. Definitely doing weights tomorrow, probably arm stuff and yoga :)

Here's to the next TV timeout!
-Syd


No comments: