Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Red Randoms

Today, my brain doesn't really process full thoughts, so you get a numbered list instead...

  1. Due to the ice (see above), I tried to go do the 3 miles for Tuesday on a treadmill. 
  2. The gym was packed to a level I have literally never seen. All machines had someone on them.
  3. Instead of waiting around for someone to hopefully yield after their 30 minutes, I came home and tried our tv's "fitness on demand." 
  4. The first lady had  "Madonna arms."
  5. The second lady was entertaining and had way less distracting arms.
  6. Somehow, pilates and yoga have made my arms, especially triceps, hurt. A lot.
  7. I scoped out the sidewalks today on my drive home from work. The 3 mile route sidewalks were clear. The 2.4 mile sidewalks? Not so much. BEHOLD A SIGN FROM THE RUNNING GODS!!!
  8. So I did my 3 miles. After the first half mile, my legs literally kicked into gear. They knew the hill was done, and it was all pretty much level from then on. Good little legs :)
  9. My mom got me a Cookout t-shirt for Christmas. I forgive you if you've never eaten there because you either live out of their area or you don't want to swell up thanks to their burgers, shakes, chicken nuggets and onion rings. By the way, you can get one of each of those for under $6. 
  10. There's a Cookout in walking distance from my work...doom doom!
  11. Anyway, the point of the Cookout story is that I wore it today on my run :)
  12. As you can see below, its bright red!
  13. By mile 1, my arms were the same color. 
  14. There was lots of wind today! It was a headwind on the way out and a tail wind on the way back. 
  15. I got so used to breathing in to the wind that when I turned around, I had to re-figure out how to breathe.
  16. I get post-run cough these days. My mom got to hear the full effect of it during our Sunday talk this weekend and I fear she will hear it tonight during our Wednesday talk.
  17. We only talk Sunday/Wednesdays, I swear. Usually. Unless something great/bad/cooking happens :)
  18. No clue how long the 3 miles took. Loving the arm band. Fred does good :)
  19. By the way, Fred got rear-ended today. Thankfully, not his fault, but the poor boy is hurting. Haven't seen the car yet but Fred's descriptions sound slightly foreboding...
  20. Large scary man was "walking" 2 dogs and by "walking" I mean "getting pulled by" and so I waited til there was a break in the busy 4 lane divided highway to step on the blacktop, off the sidewalk, to pass the stopped man and leering dogs. Large scary man then yelled "hey! get off the road!" at my back....seriously, dude?!
  21. I feel a little hardcore running in sub-30* weather.
  22. Unfortunately, this weather makes me twitch a lot. My muscles get unusually tense or loose these days. Nothing feels weird when I run, but when I stop and the next few hours after, things feel a bit off. Still running, just cautiously.

Woo Cookout shirt :)

I wanted this to show that my arms matched my shirt. They did...but then I cooled down a bit :/

 Here's to the next TV timeout :)

-Syd

No comments: