Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Junk Miles

I've always wondered about people who talk about "junk" miles when running. Most of my runs have meant something- better time, better distance, something. Today? Not so much.

Fred and I spent most of yesterday in the car to a car dealership 4, almost 5, states away, then at the dealership, then driving back halfway to his family's house. I was soooo ready to just go to bed and crash, but they were up and socializing took every last bit of my energy. I also got to thinking about some life things, so I went to bed with a crazy mind, and woke up still bouncing around in my own brain. To combat it, I decided that I could go put the new long-sleeved wicking shirt (kudos, roomie!) to the test in the further north weather.

Using gmap-pedometer, I mapped out a route before, but this was an area super unknown to me, and as soon as I was on  my 2nd turn, I was lost and off track with a bad dinner from last night as the last thing in my stomach :/ I kept running, first wayyyyy too fast, then slowing to a walk for no reasons at time, running on the street because the sidewalks were destroyed by tree roots. Just...blah! I finally got on to a street where I knew I was 2 turns away from the house- once I figured out whether to turn right or left at this intersection!!! I chose right- both literally and figuratively :)

I promise pictures tomorrow from this adventure, or at least the few I took. Tonight? I have nada left in me. When a 2 day trip turns into 3 and you eat a lot of spoonfuls of peanut butters and crackers... BOoo. I felt quite resourceful when, post run-shower, I turned the bra I'd worn Friday night inside out to be decent in public for Sunday :) Today's 2.3 miles were junk. Will be doing a legit 3 fast, maybe tomorrow, or maybe Tuesday. I feel like I need yoga!!!

Here's to the next TV timeout!
-Syd

No comments: