Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A $150 run...

I was scared/excited to go out yesterday for SO many reasons!
1- I was going outside, no treadmill!

2- I'd have a companion in the form of the cute little monster :)
3- I was doing a 2.5 mile route, which will probably be my training route for a while.
4- Looking at the calender and training plan, I realized I could do my 5k before Thanksgiving, making logistics easier on everyone involved (especially since I don't know where I'll spend Thanksgiving. The two options now are either a) MUCH COLDER than NC or b) MUCH WARMER than NC)

but then...
a) I thought I'd eaten lunch soon enough ahead to let everything be settled but no no no, so I started feeling nauseous about 1/3 the way through
b) when I got home, wanting just to curl up and let the tummyache pass, I realized I'd dropped my car key and clicker, so now I couldn't get into the car where I'd locked my house keys, despite standing right outside the house!

No worries, Neighbor Gail to the rescue, but I thought I'd walk the 2.5 mile route again, maybe I'd find the keys?

No luck.

The roommie and I walked the route again this morning and with fresh eyes on me and new eyes on her, we couldn't find them :( I called all the apartment complexes along my route, and people with Nissans are missing keys, but the only Ford keys anybody had found had an extra keychain in them :/

KB's tip was to loop one of the millions of hair bands I have through the key and then slip it on my wrist. The roomie's suggestion (courtesy of Real Simple) was to take a binder clip, unhook one of the metal parts, slip your key on there, then reassemble the clip and attach it to your shorts or whatever works.

Lesson learned! At the Ford dealer in town now and getting a new clicker and key. Hooray for technology that demands my key and clicker are $150 to replace. breathing I have the $$ but it still sucks to have to shell out :P

Still feeling good, physically, even with the 7.5 miles I've walked/run the past 24 hours.

Here's to the next timeout!

-Syd

No comments: