Duke's Coach K once told his players to focus on what was right in front of them- "get to the next TV timeout." I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I appreciate his philosophy. Yes, an NCAA basketball game is 40 minutes, but the longest stretch of play in a televised game is 7 minutes. A daunting goal, broken up to manageable pieces with clear, defined goals, something I'm striving to do. -Syd

Friday, October 22, 2010

This one time, in Texas...


Greetings :D

Authentic Texas BBQ Lunch :)
Its not that I’ve forgotten, because I haven’t, its just that I had some major important things happen and talking about running <<<< prepping for a big-girl interview and flying to my 35th state! True story, before Thursday I’d never been to Texas! Now, I still have the soil on my interview shoes!

I wasn’t so sure about the location, as even the employees admit that its in the middle of nowhere, but its under an hour to a Target, Walmart Supercenter, movie theatre, Sam’s Club and any chain restaurant you could want, but a town 15 minutes away has a Wally World, just no groceries. Other major cities are within a very easy drive for a night or weekend of big city fun (including a town with all 4 major sport franchises coughgoRangerscough) so those fears are eased. Oddly enough, there was also a woman at this site that’s from Illinois, so once we established that, we chatted away and that calmed a lot of my reservations about Middle of Nowhere, Texas.

Of course, this is all assuming I’d get the job, and who gets the job on their first interview?!? My big sister has imparted the sage wisdom on me that her extra 16 years on earth have taught her and she tells me that she “prays that God opens the doors that are supposed to be open and makes you okay with the doors he’s shut in your face”, which is what I know the right thing.

I’d originally thought that I could knock out my 2 miles on Thursday night, clearing my head after landing at 7:30 and getting to the hotel with a fitness center. So so SO glad I didn’t do that because I unexpectedly went to dinner with potential coworkers! Instead, I decided last minute to go running on Thursday morning, saving room in my bag. And yes, for less than 24 hours on the ground, I have a backpack, half full, and a tiny duffle bag, pretty full. I’m a girl and have to look nice, which is hard with ALL THIS HAIR!

Anyway…I went Thursday morning and curse my mind. Getting past that mental barrier of running a mile? I couldn’t do it, not with the stress, anxiety, etc etc, so instead of pushing it, I just tried, did 20 minutes at paces that didn’t make me want to hurl, and went home to continue with my pre-interview prep. I’m not giving up, though. Saturday seems like the perfect day to go try this. KB reminds me that getting past the 1 mile straight barrier is all in my head. To outsmart myself, I will bring an iPod (curse the treadmill sound systems!) and cover distance measurement for a while. I’m way more focused on this than I was on Thursday, so I’m way more optimistic, and have faith in the power of positive thinking J

Here’s to the next TV timeout!

-Syd

No comments: